Dr. Karl Hamner, Ph.D.
Dr. Karl Hamner, Ph.D.
Director, Office of Evaluation & School Improvement The College of Education
The University of Alabama
PO Box 870240
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0358
Dr. Hamner currently serves the Director of the Office of Evaluation Research and School Improvement for The University of Alabama College of Education. He also serves on the UA Council for Community-Based Partnerships and is Co-Chair of the West Alabama Veteran Action Board. Dr. Hamner has been an education, social science and health researcher, program development and evaluation consultant, and training specialist for federal, state, county and community-based agencies. He has extensive experience in research and program evaluation, as well as conducting professional development workshops and trainings on a wide range of topics, including over 50 grant writing workshops. Throughout his career, he has written or directed the development of numerous successful grant proposals for both small and very large grants. He has received funding from federal, state and local agencies, including the Department of Defense, the Department of Veteran Affairs, the National Institutes of Health, the Health Resources and Services Administration, Housing and Urban Development, and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration; as well as a wide array of private and corporate foundations, including The California Endowment, The David & Lucille Packard Foundation, The Mott Foundation, and The Alcoa Foundation. His Ph.D. in Sociology is from the University of California, Los Angeles.
|1993||Ph.D. Sociology||University of California, Los Angeles|
|1989||M.A. Sociology||University of California, Los Angeles|
|1986||B.A. Sociology||University of California, Los Angeles|
|2017 - Present||Clinical Associate Professor, Director|| The Office of Evaluation and School Improvement, |
The University of Alabama College of Education
|2010 - 2017||Assistant Dean of Scholarly Affairs|| The University of Alabama Capstone College of Nursing & Assistant Dean for Research, |
The University of Alabama School Of Social Work
|2007 - 2010||Director of Scholarly Affairs||The University of Alabama Capstone College of Nursing|
|1999 - 2011||President||KMH Consulting, Inc.|
|2000 - 2004||Contract Instructor||University of California, Los Angeles|
|2003||Contract Instructor||University of Southern California|
|1997 - 1999||Director, Evaluation Research||Sociometrics Corporation|
|1993 - 1997||Research Associate||Vanderbilt Institute for Public Policy Studies, Vanderbilt University|
|1993 - 1996||Post-Doctoral Fellow, National Institute of Mental Health Post-Doctoral Training Program in Children’s Mental Health Services||Center for Mental Health Policy, Vanderbilt University|
Areas of Expertise
Program Design and Evaluation; Program and Policy Evaluation; Evaluation Capacity Building; School Improvement; Community-based Youth Development and Health Promotion; Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program Development and Evaluation; Qualitative and Quantitative Methodology; Applied Health and Social Service Research;
Inter-group Attitudes and Conflict; Children’s Mental Health Services; HIV/AIDS Prevention; Military to Civilian Transitions; Social Identity Theory.
Inter-group Attitudes and Conflict; Children’s Mental Health Services; HIV/AIDS Prevention; Military to Civilian Transitions; Social Identity Theory.
|2011||Instructor, Research Methods for Social Work Practice, University of Alabama (SW 576- 001)|
|2003||Instructor, Health Promotion Program Design and Evaluation, University of Southern California|
|2000 - 2004||Instructor, Interpersonal Conflict, Department of Sociology, University of California, Los Angeles|
|2000 - 2004||Instructor, Sociological Research Methods & Interpersonal Conflict, Department of Sociology, University of California, Los Angeles|
Recent Community Service
|2016 – Present||CO-CHAIR, West Alabama Veteran Action Board|
|2016 – 2018||CO-CHAIR, Education Committee of the Alabama Veterans Network (AlaVetNet)|
|2013 – 2016|| MEMBER, Alabama Veterans Network (AlaVetNet)|
|2009 – 2017||VICE-PRESIDENT, Holt Community Partnership (HCP)|
|2012 – 2017||VICE-CHAIR, Health Action Partnership of Walker County (HAP-WC)|
|2010 – 2013||CO-FOUNDER AND MEMBER, Walker Area Transformational Coalition for Health (WATCH)|
|2007 – 2010||MEMBER AND SECRETARY, Capstone Rural Health Center (CRHC) Board of Directors|
Recent Professional Service
|2016 – Present||MEMBER, CIMVHR College of Peer Reviewers|
|2016 – 2017||MEMBER, the School of Social Work Administrative Team|
|2010 – 2017||MEMBER, the School of Social Work Executive Team|
|2008 – Present||CO-CHAIR, UA-VA Research Liaison Group|
|2015 – 2017||MEMBER, the Council for Community-Based Partnerships Faculty Teaching and Research Support Committee|
|2007 – Present||MEMBER, the University of Alabama Council for Community-Based Partnerships|
|2007 – 2017||MEMBER, the University of Alabama Assistant/Associate Deans of Research Committee|
|2007 – 2015||MEMBER, Capstone College of Nursing Administrative Support Team|
|2007 – 2015||MEMBER, Capstone College of Nursing Organizational Performance and Strategic Planning Committee|
|2013 – 2015||CO-CHAIR, Deans and Directors for Research Special Interest Group, the Society for Social Work Research|
|2014 – 2015||MEMBER, SACS Public/Community Service Compliance Certification Committee|
|2014 – 2015||MEMBER, the University of Alabama Carnegie Classification for Curricular and Community Engagement Renewal Team|
|2011 – 2012||MEMBER, the University of Alabama Carnegie Classification for Curricular and Community Engagement Team|
|2010 – 2014||CHAIR, Capstone College of Nursing Organizational Performance and Strategic Planning Committee|
|2010 – 2014||MEMBER, Deans and Directors for Research Special Interest Group, the Society for Social Work Research|
|2008 – 2012||MEMBER, the University of Alabama Technology Research Advisory Committee|
- American Evaluation Association
|2015||Certificate of Appreciation, Department of Veterans Affairs|
|2015|| Award of Recognition for contribution to the renewal of the University of Alabama’s Carnegie Classification for Curricular and Community Engagement|
|2013||Distinguished Achievement in Engagement Scholarship- Faculty/Staff; University of Alabama Center for Community-Based Partnerships|
|2010||Excellence in Community Health Center Board Leadership; Alabama Primary Care Association|
|2010||Outstanding Community Partner-Initiated Engagement Effort (jointly awarded to Paul Kennedy, President, the Walker Area Community Foundation); University of Alabama Center for Community-Based Partnerships|
|1992||City of West Hollywood Dissertation Award|
- Albright, D. L., McCormick, W. H., Carroll, T. D., Currier, J. M., Thomas, K. H., Hamner, K., Slagel, B. A., Womack, B., Simms, B. M., & Deiss, J. (2017)
Barriers and resources for veterans’ post-military transitioning in South Alabama: A qualitative analysis. Traumatology.
- Hendricks Thomas, K., Albright, D., Shields, M., Kaufman, E., Michaud, C., Plummer Taylor, S., Hamner, K. (2016). Predictors of depression diagnoses
and symptoms in United States female veterans: Results from a national survey and implications for programming. Journal of Military and Veterans’ Health
- Thomas, K.H., Taylor, S.P., Hamner, K., Glazer, J. Kaufman, E. (2015). Multi-site Programming Offered to Promote Resilience in Military Veterans: A
Process Evaluation of the Just Roll With It Bootcamps. Californian Journal of Health Promotion, 13 (2), 15-24.
- Davis, L. L., Kertesz, S. G., Mahaney-Price, A. F., Martin, M. Y., Tabb, K. D., Pettey, K. M., McNeal, S. F., Granstaff, U. S., Hamner, K. M., Powell, M. P.,
Hilgeman, M. M., Snow, A. L., Stanton, M., Litaker, M., Mary T. Hawn, M. T., (2011). Alabama Veterans Rural Health Initiative: A Preliminary Evaluation of
Unmet Health Care Needs. Journal of Rural Social Sciences. 26 (3), 14–31
- Hamner, K. M., Kennedy, P. W. & Wolfe, T. A. (2008). Forming a rural health partnership. Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship, 1(1), 85-86.
- Robin, L., & Hamner, K. M. (2000). Bisexuality: Identities and community. In V. A. Wall & N. J. Evans (Eds.) Toward acceptance: Sexual orientation issues on campus (pp. 245-259). Lanham, MD: University Press of America, Inc.
- Bickman, L., & Hamner, K. M. (1998). Evaluating a Holocaust Museum. Evaluation Review, 22 (4), 435-446
- Bickman, L., Salzer, S., Lambert, E. W., Saunders, R., Summerfelt, W. T., Heflinger, C. A., & Hamner, K. M. (1998). Rejoinder to Mordock’s critique of the Fort Bragg Evaluation Project: The sample is generalizable and the outcomes are clear. Child Psychiatry and Human Development, 29 (1), pp. 77-91.
- Hamner, K. M., & Bryant, D. (1997). Does client severity predict case management activity? Evaluation and Program Planning, 20 (3), 259-267.
- Hamner, K. M., Lambert, E. W., & Bickman, L. (1997). Children’s mental health in a continuum of care: Clinical outcomes at 18 months for the Fort Bragg Demonstration. Journal of Mental Health Administration, 24 (4), 664-670.
- Boyd, E. A., Berk, R. A., & Hamner, K. M. (1996) Motivated by hatred or prejudice: Categorization of hate-motivated crimes in two police divisions. Law and Society Review, 30, 819-850
- Heflinger, C. A., Nixon, C. T., & Hamner, K. M. (1996). Handling confidentiality and disclosure in the evaluation of client outcomes in managed mental health services for children and adolescents. Evaluation and Program Planning, 19, 175-182.
- Hamner, K. M. (1992). Gay bashing: A Social Identity analysis of violence against lesbians and gay men. In G. M. Herek & K. T. Berrill (Eds.) Hate crimes: Confronting violence against lesbians and gay men, pp. 179-190. Newbury Park, CA: Sage
- Berk, R. A., Boyd, E. A., & Hamner, K. M. (1992). Thinking more clearly about hate motivated crimes. In G. M. Herek & K. T. Berrill (Eds.) Hate crimes: Confronting violence against lesbians and gay men, pp. 123-143. Newbury Park, CA: Sage
- Feinstein, N., Card, J. J., Shields, J. P., Benner, T., & Hamner, K. M. (2001). Case Studies in Effective HIV Prevention: 18 Behavioral Prevention Programs Selected for the HIV/AIDS Prevention Program Archive. Los Altos, CA: Sociometrics Corporation.
Select Refereed Presentations
- Thomas, K.H., Albright, D.L., Hamner, K., & Shields, M.M. (Jan 2017) Predictors of depression diagnoses and symptoms in female veterans: Results from a national survey and implications for programming. Annual Conference for the Society for Social Work and Research, New Orleans, LA (poster presentation).
- Hamner, K.M. (2016). “From In-Group to Out-Group MCT and Optimal Distinctiveness.” Panel presentation in “Theory, Veteran Identity and Well-Being in Military-Civilian Transition: What do we know and what can we do?” Working Group 5, Leads: Dr. Jim Thompson, Medical Advisor, Research Directorate, Veterans Affairs Canada & Wendy Lockhart, Senior Policy Officer, Research Directorate, Veterans Affairs Canada; Forum 2016, the 7th Annual Canadian Military and Veteran Health Forum. Vancouver, Canada.
- Albright, D. L., Currier, J. & Hamner, K.M. (2016) “Post-Service Identity: The Role of Moral Injury on the Military to Civilian Transition.” Oral presentation; Forum 2016, the 7th Annual Canadian Military and Veteran Health Forum. Vancouver, Canada.
- Hamner, K.M, Albright, D.L., Thomas, K., Pryce, J., Davis, L. (2015). “Leading by Convening: Advancing Transition Research via a Translational Summit.” Oral presentation; The 6th Annual Canadian Military and Veteran Health Forum. Quebec City, Canada.
- Albright, D. L., & Hamner, K.M. (2015). Beyond “thank you for your service”: Improving community context for MCT. Military to Civilian Transition Summit, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA.
- Huebner, R. & Hamner, K.M. (2014). “Putting the “I” Back in Team: IPE Strategies for Students, Faculty, and Rural Social Work Practice.” Oral presentation p; 39th Annual National Institute for Social Work and Human Services in Rural Areas. Silver City, New Mexico, July 2014.
- Hamner, K.M., Kennedy, P., Jones, F., Judd, A. & Johnson, G. (2012) “Sustaining Community- Academic Partnerships for Health.” Panel Presentation; National Outreach Scholarship Conference. Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
- Wilson, E., Dixon. C., Thomas, A., Watkins, J., Houser, R., Hamner, K.M., Shaw, C.L., & Reamy, R., (2012). “From the Ground Up: The Evolution of a Partnership.” Panel Presentation; National Outreach Scholarship Conference. Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
- Hamner, K.M., Kennedy, P., Goetz, D. & Wells, H.M. (2010). “Reciprocal Community-Academic Partnerships for Health: Lessons from WATCH 2010.” Panel presentation; Gulf-South Summit on Service Learning and Civic Engagement through Higher Education; Athens, Georgia.
- Hamner, K.M. (2010). “Innovation to promote nursing research.” Oral presentation; The Research Leaders Network, American Association of Colleges of Nursing Graduate Education Conference; Captiva Island, Florida.
- Snow, A.L., Allen, R., Richmond, D. & Hamner, K.M. (2010). “Linking research and practice in long- term care.” Panel presentation, Improving the Quality of Long-Term Care: A Statewide Summit; Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
- Hamner, K.M., Dunkin, J., Witt, B.S., Hankins, J., & Majors, S. (2008). “Nurses responding to rural health needs: Meeting the needs of the future through community-academic partnerships.” Chair, Panel presentation, , Ninth Annual Rural Health Conference; Tuscaloosa, Alabama; September 2008.
- Hamner, K.M., Patton, M.Q., Saxe, L., Scriven, S. & Bickman, L. (1998). “Increasing the utilization of evaluation findings to transform society: What is the role of the evaluator?” Chair, Panel presentation, with Michael Quinn Patton, Leonard Saxe, Michael Scriven, and Leonard Bickman, American Evaluation Association annual meeting, November 1998.
- Hamner, K.M. (1998). “Confronting common problems in evaluation research: The power of the sociological perspective.” Paper presentation, Annual Pacific Sociological Association meeting, April 1998.
Ongoing Research & Contract Support
|Bristol Myers Squibb Foundation; Operation Deep Dive Subcontract||$1,552,773||Lead PI||2017-2021|
|State of Alabama Department of Education, School Improvement Grants – Evaluation||$1,310,801||Evaluator||2017-2021|
| National Science Foundation; Building a Pathway for CS Principles Teachers: |
A Two-course Sequence for Secondary Education Mathematics Pre-service Teachers
|University of Alabama at Birmingham; Jefferson County Juvenile Drug Court Assessment||$35,000||Evaluator||2017-2018|
|Gadsden City Schools; 21st Century Learning Centers||$14,500||Evaluator||2017-2018|
Completed Research & Contract Support
|Alabama Department of Public Health; Alabama FITWAY Colorectal Cancer Prevention Program||$193,564||Evaluator||2015-2017|
| University of Alabama at Birmingham; Jefferson County Juvenile Drug Court and Family |
Drug Court Assessments
|Gadsden City Schools and Selma City Schools; 21st Century Learning Centers||$22,000||Evaluator||2016-2017|
|Community Foundation of South Alabama; South Alabama Veterans Needs Assessment||$33,619||PI||2015-2016|
|National Institute of Child and Human Development; Service Member to Civilian: Transitions, Mental Health. Families and Education (NIH 1 R13 HD080421-01)||$25,000||PI||2014-2016|
|Alabama Department of Mental Health Developmental Disabilities; Alabama Project LAUNCH||$150,000||Evaluator||2014-2016|
| Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs; |
Alabama Broadband Initiative Monitoring and Evaluation Framework Development
|Missouri Hospital Association; Custom Grant Writing Workshop||$2,700||Instructor||2014|
|Greenleaf Medical Center; Grant Proposal Writing and Development||$20,000||PI||2011|
|Fitzgibbon Hospital; Grant Proposal Writing and Development||$20,000||PI||2010|
|Missouri Hospital Association; Custom Grant Writing Workshop||$2,700||Instructor||2010|
|Walker Baptist Medical Center; Professional Facilitation; WATCH 2010||$7,500||Facilitator||2009|
|Alameda County Office of Education; Grant Writing Training and Professional Development||$12,853||PI||2008-2009|
|MidMichigan Innovation Center; Grant Proposal Writing and Development||$5,000||PI||2007|
|University of Maryland; Baltimore County Custom Grant Writing Workshop||$6,000||Instructor||2007|
|The California Endowment; Centinela Youth Service Bullying Prevention Program Evaluation||$25,000||Evaluator||2006|
|DeKalb County School System; DeKalb County School System’s |
Theme and Magnet School Evaluation
|The San Diego Foundation & The California Endowment; Project ESSEA Evaluation||$35,000||Evaluator||2002-2005|
| The California Endowment; The Northern California Center on Deafness Parent Links |
|Roanoke Teen Pregnancy Prevention Initiative Evaluation||$40,000||Evaluator||1998-2004|
|Tulare County, CA; Tulare Youth Services Bureau Building Bridges Program Evaluation||$25,500||Evaluator||2001-2003|
|The California Endowment & Private Donor; Tariq Khamisa Foundation Violence Intervention Forum Feasibility Study||$140,552||PI||2001-2002|
|The State of California & The California Endowment; People’s Choice Program Evaluation and Organizational Development||$33,500||Evaluator/PI||2000-2002|
|City of Los Angeles, CA; Community Employment Project’s Welfare to Work Program Evaluation||$50,000||Evaluator||2001|
|The California Endowment; Woodlake Family Resource Center Evaluation||$25,000||Evaluator||2000-2001|
|The California Endowment; Project New Hope Evaluation||$35,000||Evaluator||2000-2001|
|The California Endowment; The California Partnership for Children’s Plan To Lead Parent Advocacy Training Program Evaluation||$25,000||Evaluator||2000-2001|
|The California Endowment; Kaweah Delta Healthcare District Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program Evaluation||$40,000||Evaluator||1999-2001|
|The State of California; Planned Parenthood’s Girl Talk Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program Evaluation||$30,000||Evaluator||1998-2001|
|Kaweah Delta Healthcare District; Hispanic Cardiovascular Health Needs Assessment||$5,000||PI||1999|
|The David & Lucille Packard Foundation; Santa Clara County Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Network Evaluation||$880,000||Co- PI/Evaluator||1999|
|The State of Minnesota; The System-wide Analysis of Family Planning Services in Minnesota||$120,000||PI||1998-1999|
|The State of California; California Community Challenge Grant Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program Evaluations||1997-1999||Evaluator||$106,150|
|Department of Defense; Client Severity and Case Management Activity in Children’s Mental Health Services||1996||Co-PI||$50,000|
Grants Raised for Individuals & Agencies
| Walker Area Transformational Coalition for Health Planning Grant, Don Goetz, |
|2009||Health Resources and Services Administration||$86,000|
|Michigan Initiative for Innovation and Entrepreneurship||2008||The Mott Foundation||$80,000|
|The Icelandic Cultural Heritage Project; Jesse Byock, Ph.D., PI, UCLA||2007||The Alcoa Foundation||$250,000|
|Multiple Imputation for Longitudinal Data; Xiawei Yang, Ph.D., PI, UCLA||2002||National Institute of Drug Abuse||$99,700|
|Board and Organizational Development; People’s Choice, Inc.||2002||The California Endowment||$50,000|
| Transitional Housing for People Living with AIDS and Mental Illness; |
Project New Hope
|2001||Housing and Urban Development||$750,000|
| Supportive Services for People Living with AIDS and Mental Illness; |
Project New Hope
|2001|| Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services |
|Planning and Seed Money Grant; The California Partnership for Children||2001||The Friedman Family Foundation||$20,000|
| Plan 2 Lead Parent Advocacy Training Program; The California Partnership |
|2001||The California Endowment||$450,000|
*Only grant proposals for which Dr. Hamner served as grant development lead and/or primary author or funded proposal. List does not include grant awards to the University of Alabama during Dr. Hamner’s time as a Director/Assistant Dean for Research.